Tully's Castle

Tully's Castle

 

 

 

This is a small 16th Century tower house, possibly one of the outposts of the Pale. Its origins are mostly undocumented, however the “Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 1899” gives the following information:

The name “Castle of Clondalkin”' is applied to Tully's Castle in a number of late eighteenth and early nineteenth century leases, which deal with a place called “The Sheepus”.  The Castle was occupied for many years by a family named Tully. […] Since 1761 there has been no great change in [its] appearance. The Sheepus in these leases is referred to as … “ nearly adjoining the Castle of Clondalkin”.