History

History

 

A brief history of Clondalkin

 

 

 

Clondalkin (or Cluain Dolcáin, meaning Dolcan’s meadow) is situated on the heights over the estuary of the River Liffey and guards the inland pass between the mountains and the river. This advantageous location first attracted Neolithic settlers around 7,600 years ago. It is believed to have been founded by Saint Mochua as a monastic settlement on the banks of the River Camac over 1,400 years ago.

 

The Round Tower of Clondalkin, the dominant feature of the Village and visible from all directions was built as part of the monastery was built more than 1000 years ago stands more than 90 foot high as is one of the oldest and best preserved round towers in Ireland.

 

Clondalkin was sacked by the Viking from Denmark in 832AD and the monastery was burned to the ground. The area remained under Danish control until the Viking defeat of Brian Boru at the famous Battle of Clontarf in 1014. Clondalkin witnessed another historic event during the Norman invasion in 1171 when it staged a battle between Richard de Clare (Strongbow) and the last High King of Ireland Ruairi O Conchúir.

 

Today, Clondalkin is a modern, busy satellite town of Dublin, with an estimated population of over 44,000. Clondalkin is regarded as a centre for the Irish language and for Irish culture. Muintir Cronáin was founded in 1972 to further the use of the Irish language through educational, social and cultural activities. Áras Cronáin was opened in 1989 as a cultural and heritage centre and is used by the entire commuinty today.

 

South Dublin County Council have prepared a Historic Walking Route of Clondalkin which can be found here.