Churchs

St Johns Church

The present St. John's Church was opened in 1789. It had an open belfry and 12 seats. Restoration, which started in 1834, gave us the Church of Ireland structure we see today. The medieval church which stood on this site was demolished in 1787 to allow work to start on a new church. There are no records stating when this church was built yet according to Dr. Petrie it was a church of considerable architectural importance and was probably built during the 13th Century.

The earlier church measured 120 feet long and 50 feet wide. The church was dedicated to St. Mochua and contained three altars honouring Mary the Blessed Virgin; St. Bridget and St. Thomas. All that remains of this earlier church is a column of stonework in the churchyard.

There are two early crosses in the graveyard, a larger granite cross which was possibly a boundary cross for the Barony of Uppercross, of which Clondalkin is a part and a smaller carved cross. Another item of note is a large baptismal font carved out of a granite erratic.

St. John's graveyard was the village graveyard where burials from all denominations occurred for a long period. There are many interesting tombstones within the graveyard including those of two Catholic Parish Priests along the back wall.

On Sunday the 8th of March, 1857, the Parish Priest Fr. Moore held a parochial meeting in the Chapel House. He proposed the erection of a new church. It is recorded that his suggestion was responded to "in a manner unprecedented in the Annuals of Chapel building in Ireland". Certainly a large sum of money was pledged with many parishioners subscribing £50 to £100 each.

Church of the Immaculate Conception

On Sunday 8th March 1857 the Parish Priest Fr. Moore held a parochial meeting in the Chapel House. He proposed the erection of a new church. It is recorded that his suggestion was responded to "in a manner unprecedented in the Annals of Chapel building in Ireland". Certainly a large sum of money was pledged with many parishioners subscribing £50 to £100 each.

The Church of the Immaculate Conception was designed by F. W. Caldbeck in the Gothic style and the foundation stone was laid on Sunday the 5th of July 1857, by His Grace the Most Rev. Paul Cullen, Archbishop of Dublin. In a container placed under the stone were coins of Pope Pius IX and of Queen Victoria, along with an inscribed parchment. The church organ was installed by Messers Telford and first played on 12th May 1867. On that occasion, the organist was Professor Glover, organist in Dublin's Pro-Cathederal. The choir comprised of the Pro-Cathederal choir with the principal singer Madame La Vega Wilson and the Presentation Convent Choir.

An unusual feature of this church is the beautiful stained glass window over the High Altar. This window was designed by Thomas Early and installed in 1857. Rather than depict a biblical scene, Early decided to honour the Patron Saints of the Parish and of the Catholic Church. Starting from the left we see St. Laurence O' Toole, Patron of the Dublin Diocese; the Immaculate Conception, patron of the parish; St. Joseph, patron of the universal church and St. Patrick, patron of Ireland

In 1891 this ornamental archway was erected at the New Road entrance to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Fr. John Moore, the Parish Priest responsible for the building of the church.